Two Summers in 2010

Six weeks from today I’m switching hemispheres. I’m moving from Washington, D.C, to Johannesburg, South Africa. I’ll leave D.C. on August 5, at the height of summer, and arrive in Joburg on August 6, in winter. So I’ll be living an extra summer this year — hence the name of the blog.

(Technically, I suppose I’ll be living two springs, part of two summers, part of two winters, and no falls in 2010. But I don’t think “2 springs,” “2 half-summers,” or “0 falls” really work as blog names.)

The story behind my upcoming move is very long and I wouldn’t even know where to start. So I’ll begin with the basics.

I’m a 36 year-old woman. (Actually I’m still 35 — my birthday is in 13 days. But who’s counting.) I recently left a marriage although that is a story for another blog.

I work as a writer/editor for a non-profit organization, and I’ve traveled to Africa several times for work, which is how this all came about. I’m leaving my job on July 30. I don’t have a new job lined up in South Africa yet, although I have vague plans to continue consulting for my current organization and pursue freelance work.

When I tell people I’m moving to South Africa, their first question is usually, “For how long?” My answer is, “indefinitely.” I booked a round-trip ticket and I’ll be back here in October to tie up loose ends. But for all intents and purposes my move is permanent.

The second question people ask when I tell them I’m moving to Africa is, “Why?” The short answer to that one is: “1) I think I belong there; and 2) I’m in love with someone who lives there.”

Obviously there is a lot more to say on those topics but I’m keeping it brief for now.

I plan to make this a travel blog. But since I haven’t left yet I’ll start with my local travels.

This morning I traveled eight blocks to the D.C. passport office on 19th St., in a quest to reload my passport with more visa pages. I only have a few blank pages left.

It was quite a scene in there — like a super-multicultural version of the DMV, with more screaming babies. I passed through the metal detector, reluctantly relinquished my passport into the drop-box, and got the heck out. Hopefully it will be returned to me as promised in two-and-a-half weeks — it better because I coughed up 60 bucks for expedited service.

I then journeyed several more blocks to my local AAA office, where I obtained an international driving permit. What does this entail, you might ask? Basically, I walked into the office, handed my driver’s license and two passport photos to the nice lady behind the counter, paid $15, and walked out 15 minutes later with a very official, passport-y-looking document. It’s quite lovely!

Having this permit in my possession makes me feel slightly less terrified by the prospect of driving in a sprawling African city with a reputation for aggressive drivers, unfriendly traffic policemen, and malfunctioning traffic lights. Oh, and people drive on the “wrong” side of the road.

Okay, I’m still terrified. But I love my new driving permit.

Next Post

• Reply Lost and Found | 2Summers July 16, 2010 at 12:29 am

[…] you may remember, three weeks ago I sent away my passport to have visa pages added. I still had a couple of pages left but figured I should add more, just to be safe. I paid for […]

• Reply nathankathy November 30, 2010 at 7:12 am

Hi 2summers,
    I found your blog on the wordpress homepage, and it’s enchanting. I feel like I’m there with you. We are hoping to be in Africa (or Asia! or wherever God leads..) in 2 years, and I thank you for letting me get my yearning-for-Africa fix through your blog. Keep it coming! 🙂
    natnkat.wordpress.com

• Reply Mia February 23, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Haha, the international driver’s license. We “bought” ours and are still trying to figure out what the point of it all is. Every time we handed to someone in America (for car rental etc) they just stared at us. I think it might be an international bureaucratic joke (or something conspiracy theory-like).

Good luck with the traffic. It is crazy, but you get used to it. Enjoy watching people eat breakfast in their cars, that is always hilarious.

• Reply thirdeyemom June 22, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Wow….I think it is so cool that you just picked up, moved and followed your heart! Now I understand the name of your blog…very clever! I look forward to reading more when I have the chance! 🙂

• Reply Charles Visser June 27, 2013 at 2:00 pm

And what a journey it turned out to be. Go Heather!

• Reply flynaija July 6, 2014 at 10:03 am

Hey, nice blog you’ve got and i particularly love your story..inspiring!! …and that second photo in you About Us page, taken by Tim Van Rooyen, love it! love it! The detail is in the background if you know what i mean 🙂 Keep it up!

• Reply 2summers July 6, 2014 at 10:08 am

Thanks Olutayo. Great meeting you last night!

• Reply Krista April 14, 2015 at 2:32 am

I would love to talk to you. I have that same “I feel like I belong in SA” feeling that you have described. It’s so strange. I went there on a trip just one week ago and I left with this strange feeling that I just need to be there. So here I am starting the process of research and planning. I am from Vancouver BC CAN and I would love it for us to connect. Can’t wait to read more of your blog. Thank you.

• Reply 2summers April 14, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Hi Krista,

Thanks so much for your comment, and it’s great to hear that you’re considering a move to Joburg. Feel free to send me a message on my “Contact” page — I’m happy to chat with you further.
      Cheers,
      Heather

• Reply Mei March 24, 2016 at 1:08 pm

You sure are a very creative person! I really liked the way you described the local travel. 😀

• Reply 2summers March 24, 2016 at 1:16 pm