Miscellaneous Cape Town

First, a few words of thanks:

Thanks to WordPress for “Freshly Pressing” me for the second time in three months. Wow. It was great to get a second chance because this time I actually understood and appreciated what was happening when my inbox started to overflow.

Thanks to everyone who read, commented on, liked, and subscribed to my blog. I’ve tried to respond to as many of you as possible but if I haven’t, rest assured that I’ve read and appreciated every comment.

Thanks to my mom for coming to visit and giving me an excuse to do fun things that create fantastic blog material.

Thanks to Joe, the man behind the blog, for improving my photography, making my photos look amazing, and teaching me so many interesting things about South Africa.

Now, back to Cape Town. Mom and I did several fun things during our trip that I wasn’t able to cover in the first two posts, so I’ve compiled a few of my favorite photos to illustrate them:

Riding the Hop On Hop Off Cape Town Sightseeing Bus. For someone who thought she disliked group tours, I certainly did a lot of them last weekend. We wanted to visit Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden and the bus was the easiest way to get there. Tickets cost R120 per person and we had the option of stopping at several other locations around town. We also learned many interesting things about Cape Town by listening to those nifty red earphones.

Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden, the largest botanical garden in the country with the biggest collection of indigenous flora. It’s a beautiful place for hiking (you can actually walk up Table Mountain from there), picnicking, or just sitting and gazing at the view. You can also have a delicious lunch at the Tea Garden.

Looking through the branches of a gigantic fig tree in the garden’s arboretum. It reminded me of Wonderboom.

A family of Egyptian geese closes in on a human family picnicking at Kirstenbosch. The guinea fowl in the foreground, who walked with a limp but still got around quite well, seemed to have adopted the goose family.

The city tour bus stopped at Camp’s Bay, a super-trendy Cape Town suburb. Mom and I spontaneously decided to hop off and have a drink. We sat at a seafood restaurant called Ocean Blue, watched the world go by, walked up and down the street, and then took the next bus back to town.

A typical Victorian house in Tamboerskloof, which is a great place to stay on a short visit to Cape Town. You go straight down the hill to get to the Waterfront and straight up the hill to get to Table Mountain. Walking around Tamboerskloof is tiring though — there are no flats.

Shrimp curry (foreground) and peri peri shrimp (background) at Beleza, a Portuguese/Italian restaurant on Kloof Nek Road in Tamboerskloof. We had one dinner and one breakfast there — both were excellent and the restaurant had an interesting alternative vibe.

Mounted police ride past Miller’s Thumb, where we had our best dinner in Cape Town (see previous post). Also in Tamboerskloof.

I’ve reached the end of my Cape Town series, as well as my mother/daughter visit series. Mom is now safely back in South Carolina (sniff) and I’m back to business as usual (or perhaps business UNusual) in Joburg.

Thanks for following along! And don’t go away because I have good stuff planned for the next few days.

One last shot from Cape Town — morning sun on a hiking path between Lion’s Head and Signal Hill. The mountain on the right is Devil’s Peak.

• Reply Greg February 1, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Congratualations on being Freshly Pressed for a second time. Very well deserved! Love the series on Cape Town – gives me even more to look forward to, if that’s possible.

• Reply sunshineinlondon February 1, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Ah, what a lovely post and stunning photographs! I sigh at each photo – can’t tell you how much I miss that blue sky and sunshine, especially at this time of year.
    Kirstenbosch is so special – I’m sure you’ve heard of their summer sunset concerts? Such a treat.
    Enjoy Joburg – I look forward to following your adventures.
    Sunshine

• Reply 2summers February 1, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Yes, we did hear about the concerts and we were there on a Sunday afternoon! We were too tired to stay until sunset though. We didn’t get to spend near enough time there — I’ll definitely be back.

• Reply 2summers February 1, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Yes, you just need to find a slightly lame guinea fowl 🙂

• Reply Francis February 1, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Beautiful pictures as always and the food look yummy. 😀

• Reply amblerangel February 1, 2011 at 10:55 pm

So happy for you on the Freshly Pressed! Well Deserved!

• Reply Fidel Hart February 2, 2011 at 2:50 pm

From now on, I am not reading your blog on an empty stomach, lol. I love Porto food, especially anything with peri peri flavoring. That shrimp looks amazing.
    Once again, the photos tell a great story.

• Reply 2summers February 2, 2011 at 3:03 pm

If you like Peri Peri then you HAVE to come to SA, and take a side-trip to the beach in Mozambique. They have the best shrimp (prawns) and calamari in the world there.

• Reply Fidel Hart February 2, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Well Mozambique is on my list of places to visit.
        Have you been to Malawai yet or thought of going?

• Reply 2summers February 2, 2011 at 4:42 pm

No, I haven’t been to Malawi although I’ve heard many good things and would love to go. Not a great place for food though, from what I’ve heard. I’ve been to Tanzania, Rwanda, Swaziland, Lesotho and Mozambique (and SA of course). All fantastic places in their own ways.

• Reply Jayne February 2, 2011 at 5:17 pm

Fantastic pictures. You make Cape Town look truly tantalising! Thanks for discovering my blog so I could discover yours 🙂

• Reply 2summers February 2, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Thanks so much. Hope you get back here soon so you can see CT for yourself. It’s quite a contrast to JHB although I love both cities.

• Reply Rebecca February 3, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Congratulations! On a side note, I also got Freshly Pressed twice last year and it was such a shock – but so exciting – to wake up to an overflowing inbox!

These pics are great – I loved sitting and people-watching at Camps Bay. And although I felt likke suuuchhh a tourist, the Hop on Hop off bus is by far the easiest and cheapest way to get around Cape Town.

Look forward to seeing you Freshly Pressed again – I know you can do it!

• Reply 2summers February 4, 2011 at 8:35 am

Darn, I thought I was the only one who’d ever been freshly pressed twice. Just kidding!

Thanks again for reading. I love your blog too.

• Reply neha February 7, 2011 at 11:29 am

I’m so glad I clicked on the link when I logged on. Am bookmarking your blog, and hope to read through.

• Reply 2summers February 7, 2011 at 11:36 am

Thanks Neha, your blog looks interesting too. I’ll check it out. I see you have a post about cricket — I’ve written a couple posts about cricket too if you’re interested. My new favorite sport!

• Reply neha February 8, 2011 at 10:44 am

I saw a couple of your cricket posts from the recent India-SA tour; went through TONS of envy! Thanks for stopping by my blog too.

• Reply Tilly Bud February 11, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Congratulations on your second FP! Your blog is so interesting that it’s well-deserved.

I found the geese and guinea fowl interesting. Did you know that if a goose is hurt or ill, some of the others will stay with it until it recovers or dies? They then try to re-join their flock or hook up with another. Nice to know they don’t discriminate against other species!

• Reply 2summers February 11, 2011 at 3:01 pm

That is very interesting. I also find geese fascinating.

• Reply Derek Smith March 8, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Next time you go to Cape Town go a little bit further than Simonstown to Kalkbay and Muizenberg – This (for me) is the most beautiful and quaint part of the CT experience. Have lunch at the Olympia Cafe, or maybe at Cape to Cuba overlooking Kalkbay Harbour. The humble little cottage where Cecil John Rhodes died is along the road – Rhodes, whose life and times was so intertwined with Southern African history is buried in Zimbabwe (Rhodesia) and I visited his grave there in the Matopos many years ago. His body was transported by train and then by ox-wagon high up amongst the boulders. I often wondered why he wished it to be so. Grandiose to be sure……

• Reply 2summers March 8, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Kalk Bay is Joe’s favorite place on the cape too. We’ll definitely get there next time 🙂