Sunrise, Sunset

I’m melancholy. Bad things are happening everywhere and I feel overwhelmed by life. But it’s nice to know that no matter what, the sun keeps rising and setting.

One of the advantages to my current 9-5 schedule is that I’m sometimes awake early enough to see the sunrise. I caught this one last week in our backyard. Even those ugly industrial buildings (I think they’re part of Johannesburg Hospital) look beautiful at that time of day.

Two nights ago, Joe and I looked outside and everything was bathed in a crazy pink-orange glow. The light lasted for about a minute; then it was dark. Joe had just enough time to shoot this frame looking up at our aloe tree.

• Reply Tilly Bud March 13, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I know what you mean about the bad things right now.

Lovely pictures.

• Reply Greg March 13, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I’ve been getting caught up with your blog today. Things have been really crazy busy for me the last three weeks but now I am 5 days from my big trip to South Africa! I can’t wait to visit your adopted country – in my white sneakers 🙂

• Reply 2summers March 13, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Wow, I’m really excited for you. Can’t wait to hear about the trip! Wear those sneakers with pride.

• Reply lisa@notesfromafrica March 13, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I’ve also been feeling depressed this weekend. Feel such sadness for the people who have been affected by the earthquake and tsunami.

Nice photos! I also like taking photos of silhouettes of plants against sunsets.

• Reply amblerangel March 13, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Nice, Calming pics- just what I needed to start my morning of uncertainty.

• Reply Fidel Hart March 14, 2011 at 2:43 am

Beautiful pics! I’ve seen so many pics of devastation the past couple days that it is nice to have an image that reminds us how beautiful the world is especially when we come together and admire it.

• Reply tomorrowslices March 14, 2011 at 7:58 am

There’s always something beautiful about an African sunrise or sunset. Thanks for the pic.

• Reply John March 16, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Sun like many other gifts of nature continues to shine through the dark days, it never takes a break in between ! If your feeling gloomy then look at the positivity you have in your life and that around the world.
    Am I a Negative Thinker?
    Find your own line of thought.