What I Miss Most about Washington

Washington D.C. commuters love to complain about Metro. And the D.C. subway system does have its faults: rising fares, rush-hour delays, malfunctioning fare card machines, and surly station managers.

But I spent thousands of hours riding Metro in my day, and all in all I think it’s pretty great. It’s fast and convenient, and makes it possible to get around this city without a car. Plus, the Metro stations are beautiful. Especially on quiet, nearly empty Sunday evenings.

Eastern Market station in Capitol Hill. Dan and Alex are newly minted D.C. interns — they just arrived in town and are enjoying one of their first trips on Metro.

Joburg has the Gautrain now, which is great. But it’s not the same. I miss you, Metro.

• Reply Alison Simon September 5, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Ahhhh, thanks for the kudos Heather!!! Us WMATA employees, love our customers as well :).

• Reply 2summers September 5, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Hey, I was planning to email you the link, but you found it all on your own! Glad you enjoyed.

• Reply miadidthis September 5, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Appart from the stated negative points, we really enjoyed the Metro. And the stations are pretty 🙂 Great photo!

• Reply Kathryn McCullough September 5, 2011 at 8:41 pm

That metro station really is beautiful. Who would have expected that? I can understand how you might miss this convenience. Oh, the sacrifices of the expat lifestyle!

• Reply 2summers September 5, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Yeah, I kind of took the metro architecture for granted when I lived here. Last night I realized how great it is.

• Reply Mariel September 8, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Having grown up using NYC’s subways, I’m amused whenever I’m in DC and hear people complain about Metro. I guess I’m just easily impressed by any subway station that is clean and doesn’t smell like pee. 🙂

• Reply 2summers September 8, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Ha! You’re so right. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, I guess. Thanks for your comment!