Vintage on Wheels

My friend Michelle was in town today on a nine-hour layover, and I took her on a whirlwind sight-seeing tour of Joburg. On our way to the Neighbourgoods Market in Braamfontein we came across a Volkswagen Beetle parked on Juta Street. The car was covered in vintage clothes.

Lungi’s mobile vintage shop.

The car belongs to a young woman named Lungi, and her husband, Allah. Lungi (who seems to be the main spokesperson for the business) said they wanted to open a stall inside the market but the costs are too high. So they decided to set up shop on the street.

Lungi and Allah set up their Vintage Volkswagen. The interior of the car holds additional stock and also doubles as a dressing room.

Today was Lungi and Allah’s first day selling on Juta Street. Lungi said they get much of their merchandise from old age homes in the area.  I’m no fashion expert, but I received a bit of training a few weeks ago on my shopping trip to Junkie. And to my eye, Lungi’s clothes look pretty freaking cool. Lungi and Allah themselves are also charmingly hip, yet unpretentious.

They sell shoes, too.

Lungi and Allah were just getting set up when Michelle and I first walked past. We came back about 40 minutes later and the Volkswagen was surrounded by trendy Braamfontein hipsters.

Can you see the car under there?

Lungi chats up her clientele.

People like Lungi and Allah make Joburg great. I admire their enterprising spirit. And I must say that I think their merchandise looks much more interesting than what I saw for sale inside the market.

Check out the Volkswagen on Juta Street next Saturday. Lungi and Allah also sells their clothes at Market on Main on Sundays.

• Reply Kathryn McCullough March 10, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Great story, Heather. I love Lungi’s enterprising attitude. And I totally adore the title of your post! Too cute! Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!
    Hugs,

• Reply 2summers March 10, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Thanks Kathy. I think you would like Lungi.

• Reply Yashik March 10, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Cool post.

I also had fun reading about Junkie!

Enjoy the weekend!

• Reply 2summers March 10, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Thanks Yashik. It’s been a very vintage-y month for 2Summers.

• Reply jackie hulme March 10, 2012 at 7:56 pm

very smart lass and selling the fashionista clothing to the fashionistas

• Reply 2summers March 10, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Yep. And somehow the clothes go so well with the Volkswagen.

• Reply MartinaInJozi March 10, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Love this! Wish that I had seen her. Maybe she had sold everything before I got there. I hope she wasn’t moved on…

• Reply 2summers March 10, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Did you drive down Juta St.? That would be sad if she were gone already! There were parking officials all around and they seemed cool with her being there, but I guess you never know.

• Reply MartinaInJozi March 10, 2012 at 8:35 pm

yes, we parked on Juta at the bottom by the bridge end and walked up – 2ish. She definitely wasn’t there. Hopefully she had made enough dosh and packed up for the day!

• Reply eremophila March 10, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Terrific enterprising young woman! And who CAN’T love VW’s!

• Reply 2summers March 11, 2012 at 7:58 am

Yep, you’re right. VWs are cool, old or new.

• Reply Meruschka March 11, 2012 at 12:00 am

Great story lovely pics! Will definitely loom out for Lungi next time I’m in the ‘hood.

• Reply 2summers March 11, 2012 at 7:57 am

Yes, hopefully she’ll be there next week.

• Reply taxslave March 11, 2012 at 3:21 am

Though I admire the enterprise I know that for shop owners whom pay rates and taxes in an area to have competition outside that does not contribute to aforementioned costs of keeping area clean etc is unfair competition. Who pays to clean the streets of litter left by the traders whom are not in the market? BTW: this is a bugbear to traders in countires other than SA before I get a bunch of negative comments.

• Reply 2summers March 11, 2012 at 7:57 am

You do bring up a good point, taxslave. I can’t disagree with you. Although, as you allude to, there are so many informal traders all over Jozi (and all over Africa, for that matter), I can’t bring myself to blame them. There simply aren’t enough jobs or formalized business opportunities to go around. And businesses like this make the city so vibrant. At any rate, thank you for provoking thought from another angle.

• Reply Lungile + Allah Maleta March 13, 2012 at 11:58 am

Competition is Great! it keeps us on our Toes+ it pushes us 2Evolve our business at all times.We have tried to get inside the Neighbor-goods Market since November 2011 with no luck-no reply from the market people when we applied TWICE online!!!) !vintage on wheels pays for parking (9am-3pm) which is our rent for the day + we do not litter as we are Earth Lovers. We young people who are not waiting for the government or GOD or any1 to make this Life better + enjoyable on Earth. We are doing it 4ourselves and our Beetle beautiful Volkswagen is our Shop for now. Cum support Vintage on Wheels TAXSLAVE

• Reply 2summers March 13, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Lungi, I’m glad you came and checked out the blog! Thanks for your comment and I hope things work out for you on Juta St. 🙂

• Reply Charles Visser (Chuckv) March 11, 2012 at 10:21 am

You certainly have the eye for a good story.

• Reply 2summers March 11, 2012 at 10:26 am

Thanks Chuck. That’s a lovely comment to receive.

• Reply pbdweeeebie March 12, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Fabulous find and pix. Another reason to love Jozi and being out and about it’s streets 😉

• Reply 2summers March 12, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Thanks Stanley! I hope you’re doing well. Heard you saw Martina at the top of the world yesterday.

• Reply Ndira Mandisa March 13, 2012 at 1:11 pm

OMG!! This is my cousin, she is my hero!! I am so proud I am literally jumping n shouting! Mhayise omuhle ngiyaziqhenya ngawe, qhakaza Hlatshwayo!! *tears of joy* love you Lungi so much!!

• Reply 2summers March 13, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Ndira, that’s so cool. I’m glad you found your cousin here 🙂 Thanks for reading and commenting.

• Reply Lungile September 3, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Hello bezo, I love vintage clothes and I want to know about the clothes you sell and the like when the time . I would to upgrade my warobe… Vintage Style.

Lungile,from