Focusing Inward With Instagram

I’ve always been a storyteller. For the last two years, this blog has been a place where I combine words and photos to tell stories. I haven’t thought of my photos as creative or artistic, at least not consciously. First and foremost, my photos are storytelling tools.

Until now. A couple of weeks ago, I got an iPad and discovered Instagram. I’m slightly ashamed to be so enamored by this gimmick. But nonetheless, I am. Thanks to Instagram, I’ve started taking pictures just for the hell of it. Instagramming for art’s sake. And since taking photos in public with an iPad looks really dorky (I don’t want to be one of THOSE people), I’ve been doing most of my Instagram artwork at home, in and around the Lucky 5 Star.

I got out of the shower and saw light combining with water droplets in the air. I dried off quickly, grabbed the iPad, and viola.

I’m not going to abandon storytelling. That’s still who I am. But since I’m on a journey of self-discovery at the moment, and I’ve also discovered Instagram, it seems like a good time to turn the lens inward. So when the mood strikes me and I take an interesting Instagram photo around the house, I’m going to share it on the blog.

I asked my Facebook fans for feedback on this concept, and lots of people seem to think it’s a good idea. So, consider this my first installment of Instagram for Art’s Sake.

I call this, “Creepy gnome in perpetually half-dead bamboo”. Very Melville, don’t you think?

I’m setting two parameters around this experiment. Every photo that I share as part of Instagram for Art’s Sake will be taken with Instagram, and every photo will be taken at home.

I hope you enjoy my gimmicky, hipster-y, self-absorbed art project. It’s all about me.

This post wouldn’t be complete without a creepy Instagram self-portrait.

Read more Instagram for Art’s Sake posts.

• Reply thirdeyemom September 14, 2012 at 1:16 am

I have an iPhone and am obsessed with all the photo apps! I especially love snapseed but there are also a bunh of other cool ones. I follow iPhone photographer who has leade into many cool iPad and iPhone photo apps. 🙂

• Reply 2summers September 14, 2012 at 8:11 am

Yeah, I need to start checking out some other apps. Although the iPad camera is pretty limiting. I need an iPhone now!

• Reply eremophila September 14, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I love ’em all!! Reckon this is a great direction for you to take 🙂

• Reply 2summers September 14, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Thanks! I can already see it’s going to become more and more challenging. A good way to expand one’s creativity.

• Reply eremophila September 14, 2012 at 1:50 pm

That gnome could end up being the storyteller 🙂 He deserves his own series….. 🙂

• Reply 2summers September 14, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I know, I can’t believe it took me this long to photograph him. He’s been right there at the entrance to the house for two years.

• Reply Lu September 18, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I think the gnome is a bit too creepy – I’m not sure I’d like to hear his tales…
    I have to say that I’m liking Hipstamatic more than Instagram at the moment – it’s a function of not always being connected to the internet, with Instagram you have to be… Ho Hum.
    Might have to check out snapseed though. Looks quite interesting! Viva le iPhone.. I love it (although I only have an iPhone 4 – my husband recently got an iPhone 4S and the camera quality is soooo much better…I’m only slightly jealous.) How many megapixels has the iPad camera?

• Reply 2summers September 19, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I’ve also heard great things about Hipstamatic and need to check it out. The whole internet thing is annoying, although I’ve discovered you can take pics with instagram, try to post them, and then just let the posting “fail” when you’re not online. Then the photo will be saved for later.

I’m embarrassed to admit that I don’t know how many megapixels the iPad camera is. I don’t really get what megapixels are, actually. But the camera is not that great, I’ve heard the iPhone is way better.