My Nation’s Capital at Night

So here I am, back in America. I landed at Dulles Airport yesterday morning. I’m really happy to be back in Washington D.C. — much happier than I expected to be. I’d forgotten how much I like it here.

I’m staying with my friends Bob and Tim in their lovely apartment in Shaw. I didn’t know much about Shaw, which is in the Northwest quadrant of D.C. near Howard University, before this trip. It’s a beautiful part of town with an interesting history. Hopefully I’ll tell you more about it in a future post but at the moment I’m too tired.

Last night we had dinner at a Mexican restaurant nearby. (Again, I’ll definitely have more to say about that in a future post.) I snapped a few pictures of the neighborhood during our walk back home.

Since I recently wrote a post about Joburg at night, I thought it would be nice to share some photos of D.C. at night. Enjoy.

Tall houses

Stately Washington row houses.

DC street

Enjoying the late summer evening.

Street and cars

D.C. street.

House block 2

Interesting block of houses across from Bob and Tim’s place.

Bob at home

Bob, one of my dearest D.C. friends, on the steps of his building in Shaw. Bob is a part-time tour guide and his passion for D.C. is similar to my passion for Joburg. He writes a great blog called Historic District.

That’s all for now. I’ll share more once I’ve stored up some energy.

• Reply Timmee September 10, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Oh my gosh how beautiful

• Reply Wisaal Anderson September 10, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Great shots! Have a wonderful time. Jozi misses you!

• Reply bwcarey September 10, 2013 at 8:33 pm

it’s a very bright looking city

• Reply Kathryn McCullough September 10, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Have a wonderful time, Heather. Looks like it’s gotten off to a good start! Look forward to more.

Hugs from Ecuador,

• Reply brrrittbritt September 10, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Reblogged this on Brittany Magee.

• Reply Eugenia Parrish September 11, 2013 at 12:40 am

Oh, I’d forgotten how much I loved the D.C.area. I lived in Alexandria in 1965 but in a much poorer neighborhood. Used it for the setting of my novel, and had a lot of nostalgic fun with the settings. Although it’s changed so much since then (way built up) that research was a nightmare. We’ve all seen untold numbers of pics of D.C. during the day, but how did you capture the light at night so brilliantly without losing the soft colors of the buildings? The first shot took my breath away with its exquisite detail like the shadows of the leaves. More! More!

• Reply africakokoba September 12, 2013 at 9:36 pm

beautiful! Are you in the States for good?

• Reply 2summers September 13, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Thanks. Nope, just here for a three-week visit.