Middlebury Meets Africa

This past weekend I visited my sister Susanna in Middlebury, Vermont. For those of you unfamiliar with American geography, Vermont is a tiny state in the far northeast, bordering New York, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Canada. Middlebury is a quaint college town in the central part of Vermont.

Finley

Instagram of my sister’s dog, Finley, on a stone in Middlebury honoring the Dalai Lama. His Holiness visited Middlebury during his tour of the U.S. last year.

Vermont is normally sunny and beautiful in September but it was cold and drizzly for much of this past weekend. I didn’t spend much time frolicking through the New England hills taking photos for my blog, as I had planned to do. (Also, it was the first weekend in two years that I had the opportunity to lie on the couch and watch football. I took advantage of this opportunity.)

So I don’t have that many stories to tell or photos to show. But it was a great weekend. I loved spending time with my sister, who I hadn’t seen in 18 months, and hanging out with her friends. Susanna even hosted a barbecue to celebrate my visit. We named the party “Middlebury Meets Africa”.

Sue with tomatoes

This photo tells the story of Middlebury Meets Africa. Susanna is holding a basket, which I brought from South Africa, filled with Vermont-grown cherry tomatoes. Susanna is also wearing a Baltimore Ravens t-shirt, which has nothing to do with Middlebury but everything to do with my family’s passion for Baltimore football. (By the way, the Ravens won yesterday.)

Toasting marshmallows

Toasting marshmallows at Middlebury Meets Africa.

I wish I’d had more time in Middlebury. Three days wasn’t enough to catch up with my only sister. But this was the way it had to be. I’m determined to go back again, soon. I really need to see my family more often than once every two years.

I didn’t even remember to take a photo of Susanna and me together this weekend. Here is a shot of us from 30 years ago instead.

Susanna and Heather dress-up

Okay, maybe it was more like 35 years ago. Susanna is on the left and I’m on the right. (Photo: Tenney Mason)

I’ll miss you, sis. Thanks for the party. xoxo.

• Reply Catherine September 16, 2013 at 9:24 pm

so glad you are able to reconnect with your loved ones.enjoy the times!

• Reply Debra September 16, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Oh that last photo so captures the joy of sisterhood

• Reply 2summers September 17, 2013 at 3:49 am

Thanks. My dad is a great photographer. πŸ™‚

• Reply Sebastian Czartoryski-Chatov September 18, 2013 at 10:37 am

You were such a cute kid! And photography seems to run in the family!

• Reply 2summers September 19, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Thanks Sebastian! Yes, my dad is a retired news photographer/editor.

• Reply beeseeker September 16, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Always enjoy your posts, but the title here had me hooked … And I live in England πŸ™‚

• Reply 2summers September 17, 2013 at 3:52 am

Haha, I’m glad you liked it.

• Reply Eugenia Parrish September 16, 2013 at 10:26 pm

My oldest son and his family live in Hartland, just south of White River Junction, and the other son and his family life in Northfield. Not far as the crow flies, but on the other side of the state, which is to say, on the other side of the mountains! Too bad, I know they would’ve loved to meet you. Where next?

• Reply 2summers September 17, 2013 at 3:51 am

Hey Eugenia, I’m in Maryland now visiting my dad. Ten back to Washington again, then to Florida to visit my mom. Busy!

• Reply Kathryn McCullough September 16, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Sounds like a wonderful weekend. I love getting to see my sister. And the photo of you two as kids was PRECIOUS! Does it get any more darling than that?!

Hugs from Ecuador,

• Reply 2summers September 17, 2013 at 3:50 am

Thanks Kathy πŸ™‚

• Reply Owls September 16, 2013 at 11:32 pm

You two are a couple of cuties, even as grown women!

• Reply 2summers September 17, 2013 at 3:49 am

Thanks Cuz πŸ™‚

• Reply Tanya September 17, 2013 at 3:38 am

It was really nice meeting you, Heather. I’ve had a chance to check out your blog and I enjoyed the writing and the photography. Safe travels.

• Reply 2summers September 17, 2013 at 3:50 am

Thanks Tanya, it was great meeting you too! Here to see you again sometime soon.

• Reply Jaco September 19, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Love Vermont. This was my first experience of the US, back in 2001. I worked at the Woodstock Inn & Resort for the winter (our summer).

• Reply 2summers September 19, 2013 at 2:36 pm

That’s cool, Jaco. Vermont is not usually first on the list of U.S. destinations. Especially in winter!