24 Storeys Above Sandton City

Yesterday I went to the roof of the Sandton City Office Tower to take photos for the SandtonPlaces book. Those of you familiar with Joburg know the building I’m talking about — the office block in the middle of Sandton City mall with the pyramid-shaped cap on top.

Sandton City cap

This is what the cap looks like from underneath. Unfortunately I don’t have any photos of the building from below, but they are easy to find on Google. The Sandton City Office Tower has 21 floors labeled in the elevator, but is actually a few storeys taller than that.

I was really lucky to get the opportunity to go to the top of this building. The roof is undeveloped and not open to the public. The view is — of course — amazing.

John on roof

John, one of the security guards in charge of the Sandton City roof, looks out over Joburg to the southeast. I had to beg John and Brian, the manager from Liberty Properties who organized the visit, to let me climb down onto the scaffolding below where John is standing. They finally relented.

Jozi skyline

Looking due south toward the Joburg city centre. The top level of the Sandton City parking garage is in the foreground. Climbing down onto the scaffolding paid off — it was the only way I could get a wide shot without the orange scaffolding poles in the frame.

Michaelangelo

The Michelangelo Hotel, to the northwest of Sandton City. We got up there just as a rainstorm was ending.

Michelangelo Instagram

Instagram of the Michelangelo.

Sandton sign

Giant Sandton sign.

Liberty Properties owns much of the real estate in Sandton City and they are embarking on a major revamp of the area, which will include Nelson Mandela Square. Hopefully they decide to build a restaurant on this rooftop. As I’ve lamented before, this city needs more public rooftops to showcase its beautiful skyline.

In the meantime, I’m sure I’ll keep weaseling my way into places like this. Thanks to Brian and Gerald from JoburgPlaces for indulging me last night.

Skyline from Sandton

Jozi, from 24 storeys above Sandton.

• Reply Darlene Kasten November 26, 2013 at 8:35 am

Lucky you!

• Reply eremophila November 26, 2013 at 11:45 am

The first thing that struck me was the clear skies – then I read about the rainstorm, ha! Cleared the air! Gorgeous light on the Michelangelo. Seems like you get high 🙂

• Reply 2summers November 26, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I know, I was so happy when it started raining on my way to the building. The sky here is always beautiful after it rains.

• Reply Kathryn McCullough November 26, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Wow, Heather, these photos are stunning. However, I don’t know if I’d be brave enough to climb down onto that catwalk. YIKES!

Hugs from Ecuador,

• Reply 2summers November 26, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Haha. for some reason I have absolutely zero fear of heights.

• Reply mvschulze November 26, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Beautiful photos, and I love and relate to the adventure. Quite some time ago, before security became far more intense after 9/11, I brazingly entered a door way up near the top of a building in NYC, and without any pre-meditation, simply climbed up to the very top, inside an amazing open air cupola overlooking lower Manhattan. It was nervously enthralled, walking alone out on the balcony – suit and tie as I was in my career, working in NY. It was amazing. The good news was I had my SLR camera with me. The bad news was I was just about out of film….remember, 24 pictures to a roll back then? M

• Reply 2summers November 26, 2013 at 9:39 pm

What a great story. Thank for sharing. I do remember those days, vaguely 🙂

• Reply Ross Goosen November 27, 2013 at 11:40 am

Hey Heather,great shots as usual.Some may say you were lucky to get them ,but as Gary Player (south Africa’s famous golfer said:The more I practice the luckier I become.) I think all great shots are a combination of skill & luck & sometimes experience as well,regards rossG

• Reply 2summers November 27, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Thanks Ross. Success definitely requires a combination of practice, talent and luck. I’m glad you think I got it right 🙂

• Reply theshutterjournal November 27, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Not for the faint hearted. Worth the begging, effort and deep breaths.

• Reply 2summers November 27, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Haha. I’m actually not afraid of heights at all — it wasn’t a problem for me!

• Reply taxslave November 27, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Did you not try out the Sandton Hotel rooftop bar while you were there – that is an awesome spot with same great views:)

• Reply 2summers November 28, 2013 at 8:03 am

I’ve been hearing about that rooftop for ages but haven’t been yet. Hopefully soon.

• Reply Brian Unsted December 7, 2013 at 6:24 am

Hey Heather, So great to see your snaps up on your blog from our visit. Look forward to seeing these in our Sandton Places publication. Just a few months to go now….

• Reply 2summers December 7, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Thanks again for organizing this, Brian. I’m so grateful for the experience.