Sunset From the Office of a Sandton Diamond Dealer (and some exciting news)

Yesterday evening, as one does, I found myself in the posh office of a Sandton City diamond dealer with four lively ladies from New York City.

I’m not much interested in diamonds, although I was intrigued by the tanzanite and semiprecious stones. I’m still thinking about a pair of purple-gold amethysts that I saw, toying with the idea of an early birthday present to myself. But I digress.

As the lively ladies from New York City inspected the diamonds with discerning eyes, I wandered out onto the balcony and watched the sunset. It was pretty.

Sandton sunset resizedSunset from the balcony of Bryna the diamond dealer, adjacent to Sandton City Mall and just across from the Michelangelo Hotel. See the pigeon on the ledge?

This photo reminded me of some news: SandtonPlaces, the book I co-authored with Gerald Garner and Brian Unsted, is about to be published. The book will hit store shelves in Joburg during the last week of June. Excitement.

There will be two public launch events for the book:

1) Wednesday 2 July, 6:30 p.m., at Exclusive Books in Sandton.
2) Tuesday 29 July, 7:00 p.m., at Skoobs in Montecasino (Fourways).

If you want to buy a book and have it signed by me (I can’t believe I just wrote that) and the other authors, please come to one of those events. Or just buy a book because it’s going to be awesome. The eager beavers among you can even pre-order at a discounted price and have the book delivered right to your house (South African cities only). Contact Gerald at info@joburgplaces.com for more information.

The more I think about it, I believe I really need those purple-gold amethysts in my ears for the launch. I’m SIGNING BOOKS.

Bryna the diamond lady: Thanks for letting me take pictures from your balcony. Please expect a call in the morning.

• Reply chuckv88 June 8, 2014 at 6:56 pm

I can well imagine you doing the book signing thing. You deserve it and I’ve been neglecting your blog too.

• Reply 2summers June 8, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Aw, thanks Chuck. I appreciate that. By the way, I was never at the Irish pub in Upington. (Although I wish I were — sounds fun.) I think you have me confused with a different 2Summers.

• Reply amelie88 June 8, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Congrats on the book getting published! Will it be available in e-book format? Not sure if photo-heavy books do well in e-book formats? Nonetheless I’m sure it’s a fantastic book!

• Reply 2summers June 10, 2014 at 8:47 am

Hi Amelie, I think it may eventually be available as an e-book, but not just yet. Will keep you posted.

• Reply catherine June 9, 2014 at 6:04 am

congratulations for the nook and wow, those earrings look really nice on you! what are you saying? haven’t bought them yet? go ahead, you deserve them!

• Reply liviluv017 June 9, 2014 at 10:01 am

Congrats on the book! Have really been enjoying your blog recently!
    Maybe you could check out mine too sometime. Great pictures as always. 🙂

• Reply Sine June 10, 2014 at 5:21 am

Awesome sunset. And awesome news. Wish I was there so I could have your book signed. And I could slip you one of mine as well:-) Which reminds me I have to go hound some local bookstores for signing events and such. Sigh – it’s easier if you have a publisher, trust me!

• Reply 2summers June 10, 2014 at 8:45 am

I’m sure it is. Gerald also self-publishes his books (through his own company, Double G Media) and it seems like a monumental task. Anyway, thanks!

• Reply Sine June 10, 2014 at 12:18 pm

That’s impressive. To have not one but two launch events lined up. Happy signing for all of you (and this sounds funny, but practice or at least think about how you’re going to sign them – I had no idea when confronted with the first pen – honestly, it’s a skill:-)