Things I Was Wrong About: Oysters, and the Highest Bungee Jump in the World

I’m in Knysna this week, as a guest of the Knysna Oyster Festival. When I originally got this invitation a few months ago, I accepted because I’d heard Knysna is lovely and I knew it would be a great place to spend my birthday.

I didn’t plan to eat many oysters though. I used to think I didn’t like oysters, but it turns out I was wrong about that.

eating oyster

My first oyster of the week, from Quay Four Restaurant in Knysna. I learned that I actually love oysters once they’ve been doused with lemon juice and Tabasco. (Photo: Theresa Lozier)

I also used to think that I would never go bungee-jumping in a million years. I was wrong about that too.

DCIM110GOPRO

DCIM110GOPRODCIM110GOPRO

DCIM110GOPRO

DCIM110GOPRO

These images are from a GoPro camera — courtesy of my new Instagram buddy @scrumpyjackson — that was strapped to my head during the jump. There is video footage too, which I cannot wait to share but it will take me a while to get it edited and ready for prime-time. I’ll do a full-on post about the jump in a few weeks.

I went bungee jumping on my 40th birthday, which was yesterday. In fact I leapt from the highest bungee jump in the world, on the Bloukrans Bridge about an hour north of Knysna. The bridge is 216 meters high (that’s more than 700 feet) and my jump was somewhere between 160 and 180 meters. This was the most terrifying and amazing thing I’ve ever done. I would totally do it again.

The bungee jump was the highlight of my trip so far. (In fact it was one of the highlights of my 40-year-old life.) But I’ve done many other fun things in Knysna already and there is a lot more to come. My time and my internet connectivity are seriously limited though, and my computer battery is about to die. So this will have to do for now.

DCIM110GOPRO

Here’s to 40 more years of doing things that I used to think I would never do.

I’m off to scarf some more oysters.

• Reply K for Kate (@Kate_Els) July 9, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Ah Heather! This is so awesome, glad you had a fantastic birthday. I’m very jealous about all of the oysters!

• Reply Sine July 9, 2014 at 8:09 pm

The Bloukrans bridge! Special memory for us. Our son was 15 when he did the jump there. I’m still pretty sure I’ll never do it. You’d have to seriously drug me. Bring on the dagga:-)

• Reply 2summers July 9, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Hahaha! I don’t think I would want to be high while going that 🙂

• Reply Roma Sawlani July 10, 2014 at 11:32 am

Belated Birthday Wishes! 🙂 Wishing you many more years of new adventures and happiness!

• Reply Sharon Reynolds July 10, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Respect, Heather!!! What a way to welcome in the 40’s, may it be it be an awesome decade for you

• Reply Sunshinebright July 11, 2014 at 2:36 am

How exciting! Very happy for you, and congratulations on your 40th. Also, glad that you found the oysters yummy. They are so unique, and sweet. Far different and better than clams, in my opinion. Happy rest of your trip.

• Reply 2summers July 14, 2014 at 6:50 pm

THanks Sunshinebright. I always look forward to your lovely comments 🙂

• Reply mvschulze July 12, 2014 at 2:01 pm

At 40, I sat and sulked on the couch. It was a relatively short-lived funk, but I do admire your celebratory embrace, underscoring the zest for life you portray so well in this blog. Happy Birthday Heather. You have at least another 40 years of a great life to experience! M 🙂

• Reply 2summers July 14, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Aw, thanks so much! I figure I can’t do much about turning 40 so I might as well enjoy it.

• Reply Firefly - Jonker July 14, 2014 at 9:41 am

I have learned to eat oysters, but nor sure about leaping off Bloukrans although I’ve been there so many times before.

• Reply 2summers July 14, 2014 at 9:42 am

Meruschka did it and she is terrified of heights! Who knows, maybe you’ll be inspired one of these days 🙂

• Reply Eugenia A Parrish July 17, 2014 at 12:45 am

I’m glad to read your description of the bungee jump since I will never EVER find out for myself. Not sure I would have tried it when I was younger, but at 67, it does seem like a whoops, gee, darn, missed my chance. At this age, ‘terrifying’ is just no longer an inducement. I admire you for getting it in at a reasonable age. As for the oysters, I tried them once just because Papa Hemingway always ate them. I decided he could have them all, but I don’t think the ones I had were doused in lemon juice — I know they didn’t have tabasco, so maybe that makes a difference. I’d like to see some pictures of the bridge — how high up did it actually look (in this case, a picture is worth a thousand measurements), and just how close were the sides of the valley?

• Reply 2summers July 17, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Hahaha, I love everything about this comment! I have pics of the bridge and several more shots to provide some context. I also have video! I will do a longer post to satisfy your curiosity in the next few weeks 🙂