Vicki and her chocolates

#Gauteng52, Week 10: Joburg’s Best Chocolate

Welcome to Week 10 of my #Gauteng52 challenge, for which I will visit and blog about a new place in Gauteng Province every week for 52 straight weeks. This week I visit Chocoloza, a shop in Milpark selling handmade chocolates and chocolate drinks.

I’ve been writing a lot of long blog posts lately, so this is going to be a short one.

The Story of Chocoloza

There is a South African woman named Vicki, who used to have a 9-5 job before she decided to take a chocolate-making course while living in Belgium. Vicki moved back to South Africa and became a chocolatier. She opened Chocoloza in Milpark, at 44 Stanley. Chocoloza sells delicious, handmade Belgian chocolates and chocolate drinks, the likes of which I’ve never tasted before. Chocoloza is perfect. The end.

Inside ChocolozaInside Chocoloza. Simply Belgian, naturally African.

Chokoloza chocolate trayA tray of chocolate from Chocoloza. Top-left: An assortment of truffles. Bottom-left: Tea made with cocoa beans (lactose-free). Bottom-right: Hot milk. Top-right: Chocolate chips to stir into the milk, making the best hot chocolate I’ve ever tasted.

Chocolates Chocolates for sale. There are free samples, too.

Andrea in Chocoloza
My lovely friend Andrea in front of the Chocoloza menu.

Okay, that’s not the end. Here are a few things I loved about my visit to Chocoloza:

1. This is extremely high-end food but the shop isn’t pretentious. Vicki doesn’t call her chocolates “craft” or “bespoke” or “naked” or “raw” — they’re just chocolates that she makes and they are delicious.
  2. Chocoloza’s decor is simple, fun, and inviting. I liked looking into the chocolate-making area.
  3. It was really fun to make my own hot chocolate.
  4. Chocoloza’s chocolate isn’t overly sweet, with just the right amount of sugar.
  5. The chocolates and drinks are well priced considering how great they taste.
  6. Vicki is a super-nice, interesting person who is passionate about chocolate.

Vicki and her chocolates Vicki and her chocolates. I can’t remember which flavor these particular chocolates are…possibly basil lime.

If you like chocolate (you’re weird if you don’t), Chocoloza is a slam dunk for your next coffee date. There’s nothing more I need to say. The end (for reals).

Chocoloza is at 44 Stanley Avenue in Milpark. Call +27-10-900-4892.

Read all of my #Gauteng52 posts.

• Reply Expatorama March 7, 2017 at 10:17 pm

Yum, I speak chocolate and how is it week 10 already?

• Reply 2summers March 8, 2017 at 7:13 am

Hahaha, I know. Only 42 weeks to go…eek.

• Reply Eva Melusine Thieme March 7, 2017 at 11:59 pm

O.M.G., LOVE this! I like everything about it, from the name to the decor to the colors – brilliant to pair that orange with the brown and white of the chocolates. I also love 44 Stanley.

• Reply 2summers March 8, 2017 at 7:13 am

This place really is awesome. Vicki has a great sense of style in addition to her chocolate-making talent.

• Reply autumnashbough March 8, 2017 at 7:59 am

Sometimes reading your blog posts is torturous.

Like when there is no chocolate in the house.

That all looks fabulous and I want to try everything. Are the chocolate chips for the hot chocolate made especially for hot chocolate? Or are they all purpose?

• Reply 2summers March 8, 2017 at 8:42 am

I think they’re made especially for the hot chocolate. Chocolate chips aren’t really a thing here like they are in the US – I was actually surprised to see them!

• Reply siphos1 March 8, 2017 at 10:37 pm

Do you know how brilliant your blog is? I promise to follow you for as long as I still have energy left after my full-time job. Well done.

• Reply 2summers March 9, 2017 at 5:55 am

Awww, thank you so much Sipho!

• Reply Eva Melusine Thieme March 8, 2017 at 11:52 pm

You mention chocolate chips not really being a thing in South Africa. I thought your readers might enjoy this ancient blog post of mine on the subject of hard to find chocolate chips: http://www.joburgexpat.com/2011/09/chocolate-chip-in-hiding.html

• Reply Derek Smith March 10, 2017 at 8:58 pm

Yep, divine I popped in there this morning

• Reply 2summers March 10, 2017 at 9:07 pm

Glad you agree.

• Reply Eugenia Parrish March 11, 2017 at 8:33 pm

As Aumnashbrough said, torturous. I cannot have chocolate simply because I can’t tolerate sweeteners of any kind, and it’s always got something in it, ‘sugarfree’ or no. I end up in the hospital if I ingest more than a finger-lick. But oh, how I love it, the flavor and the smell. I’ve never seen tea made with cocoa beans. Maybe it would help with my craving. Can you tell me how it’s made? Just drop beans in hot water? I’ve tried to make hot chocolate with baking chocolate [ugh, bitter] and cocoa powder [doesn’t dissolve, ugh], but no go. 🙁

• Reply 2summers March 11, 2017 at 8:41 pm

Hmm, I can’t remember exactly what she said about the tea. But I’m pretty sure it was just cocoa beans (maybe ground up a little?) and hot water. I tasted it – really good.

• Reply Vicki Bain March 13, 2017 at 8:04 pm

Hi Eugenia,

(And hi all – thanks for your enthusiastic response!)

Our cocoa tea contains only cocoa nibs and hot water. Cocoa nibs are just crushed, roasted cocoa beans – so Heather was dead on. So no sweeteners, no sugar – nothing else. It’s not a sweet drink but it has a lovely rich, cocoaey (is that a word?) flavour.

Cocoa beans are like coffee beans – the flavour will vary tremendously based on where they’re from, how they’ve been treated, how they’ve been roasted… And I should stop now because I could talk about it for hours 🙂 But I can eat good quality cocoa nibs as a snack.

And my sympathies on the baking chocolate/cocoa powder experiment, that can’t have been happy. Pop by some time, hope we can help you with your craving!

All good things,
    Vicki

• Reply Rebecca March 25, 2017 at 3:29 am

Yummmmm!!! Awesome idea for a blog series BTW!

• Reply 2summers March 25, 2017 at 8:20 am