Smokey yawning with Trixie

The Melville Cat: I Am a Cat Food Spokesperson

Good day, friends. Here is some important news from the Melville Cat:

1) Trixie, the Midget Fluff Ball Menace, is still in my home. She keeps growing larger.

Smokey yawning with TrixieI’m tired of her and yet she continues to be present.

Smokey and TrixieHmph.

2) I have been hired as a spokesperson — a spokescat, if you will — for the local cat food company, Montego. Montego has recently made some changes to its range of cat foods and they have hired moi to tell you about it.

As I dictate this post to Heather, she insists I tell you the Midget Fluff Ball Menace has also been hired as a Montego spokeskitten. I can’t explain why. She is a child, barely three months old, and has virtually no experience as a social media influencer.

Trixie and Montego productsThe Fluff Ball tried to open our Montego gift hamper before I even arrived home. How rude.

Hmph. But fine. I will include the Midget’s input, if I must.

Montego Cat Food: A Spokescat’s Review (and some input from an inexperienced Midget Fluff Ball Menace)

Montego has unveiled new adult dry cat foods in tuna and chicken flavors. I should mention this new food contains “Hairball Assist”. I personally do not suffer from hairballs but I imagine they must be quite a nuisance.

I also received packets of “Tender Chicken and Gravy” and “Atlantic Salmon and Jelly” moist foods, and chicken and lamb “sauce” that is to be poured over dry kibble.

I quite like the dry food, especially in tuna flavor.

Smokey eating Montego cat foodHere I am, sampling Montego’s new “Classic Adult Cat with Delicious Tuna”.

Smokey and Trixie with cat foodThis kitten is also quite a nuisance. Please note this food is for adults, not fluff balls.

Trixie and foodWe had to give up on this photoshoot. Hmph.

I also enjoyed the moist food, in both chicken and salmon flavors.

Trixie and Smokey eating wet cat foodHeather feeds us moist food in the evening. The Midget generally sticks to her own bowl, thank goodness.

I was not a particular fan of the chicken and lamb sauce poured over dry food. I prefer to eat either plain dry food or plain moist food, depending on my mood, and nothing in between. But each cat to his own.

I asked the Midget to report on Montego’s kitten food, which I’m told has been reformulated into a new, easy-to-grasp clover shape. Here is what she said:

“Mew mew mew, squeak squeak squeak…Errrr?”

As predicted, the Midget’s response was babyish. She is a baby, after all. And although she was very eager to steal MY food, Heather reported to me that photographing the Midget with her own kibble was like herding cats. Literally.

Trixie with foodHeather: “Look Trixie, here is your new easy-to-grasp kibble from Montego!”

Trixie in a treeTrixie: “Look, a tree!”

Trixie eating kitten foodHeather: “Okay fine, here is some ‘Tender Chicken & Rice in Gravy’ moist food from Montego.”
Trixie: “Yum.”

I later ate the Midget’s kitten kibble myself and found it delicious. Then the Midget decided she wanted to eat it too, because she is a copycat.

A Cat Food Contest

Montego has instructed me to inform you, my readers, that they are holding a competition to win a Montego cat hamper worth R250. Only South African cats are eligible.

Cats on bedThere is a contest. Can you see we are excited?

To enter the contest, please post a photo of your cat on Instagram. Tag moi, @themelvillecat, and Montego, @montegopets, in the caption of your post, and tell me why your cat deserves the hamper.

All entries must be submitted by 9 November and I will announce the winner on Instagram (@themelvillecat) on 12 November. Best of luck.

Cats in the kitchenWe are cheering for you.

The Melville Cat wrote this post in partnership with Montego. Opinions expressed are his own (and Trixie’s).

• Reply autumnashbough October 31, 2018 at 2:28 pm

You are quite tolerant of the Fluffball. It is only right that she share her yummy kitten food.

• Reply Adeline October 31, 2018 at 2:56 pm

😻 Trixie is so cute! Enjoyed reading the post!

• Reply catji October 31, 2018 at 5:43 pm

🙂 kitties 🙂

• Reply Caroline O'Reilly November 5, 2018 at 8:32 pm

Thanks for this Melville Cat. I do not have any interest in cat food as there is no cat that owns me (presently). However I do have an interest in the English language (being not far removed from non-English-speaking ancestors as I suspect is also the case with you) and I suggest that you should have signed yourself not as a ‘spokesperson’ but as a ‘spokescat’. Of course you may purrfer to be known at The Spokescat. Whatever, please keep on blogging, we are all following your handling of that deliCATe situation with the annoying Fluffball. Good luck!

• Reply Ruth Coggin December 31, 2018 at 5:10 pm

May I introduce myself to your esteemed blog as Mr Wu from Observatory. (My human is Ruth, the writer of this blog). I am in full sympathy with you over the deliCATe matter of the annoying Fluffball. I myself suffer the indignity of nightly visits from my previous colleague of the next-door humans, from whom I detached myself a few months ago to take up residence in my new human’s office. Nevertheless, said colleague continues to visit from time to time, mostly at night, and share my food. Unfortunately, I don’t get to eat the delicious sounding Montego morsels described above, since my human shares her finances with four canines (dreadfully overbearing creatures!) and reckons that Pedigree is just fine for me. Hmphhhh! Anyway, Melville Cat, I wish you all manner of delights for 2019, and trust that the rat and bird population in Melville is as abundant as it is here in Observatory. With feline felicitations, Mr Wu. PS. Perhaps we can strike up a correspondence between Melville and Observatory? It would give me great pleasure….

• Reply 2summers December 31, 2018 at 5:15 pm

It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Wu. I would love to correspond and I will have a look at your blog immediately.

• Reply Ruth Coggin December 31, 2018 at 5:22 pm

Ah, there you have got me over a barrel, Melville Cat. For my human has to date not written a post about me. Can you believe it? I mean, REALLY!! But I am planning that she should correct this in the near future. Regards, Mr Wu.

• Reply 2summers December 31, 2018 at 5:24 pm

Ahhhhhh. Your human should know she is missing out on an opportunity there. Doesn’t she realize felines are far more entertaining writers than humans are?

• Ruth Coggin January 1, 2019 at 10:24 am

Dear Melville Cat, what a marvellous suggestion you have made. I shall alert my human to this immediately. It shall become one of her new year’s resolutions (not that I believe in that stuff; do you?). So here’s wishing you a happy new year and happy blogging. Mr Wu.

• Reply Ruth Coggin December 31, 2018 at 5:21 pm

PS. I am SOOOO sorry I missed the competition. In my view (supported by those of my human), I would have walked it. But there it is then, as the Archduke said to Mozart (this is a favourite phrase of my other human, a male known as Theo, bless his soul).

• Reply Ruth Coggin January 1, 2019 at 11:18 am

Dear Melville Cat, it occurred to my human (to whom I shall henceforth refer as H1 – get it, like in James Bond? hahaha – that you may be in trouble because the post above referred to a rival cat food brand. H1 was in a bit of a panic about it, as she knows just how sensitive these brand owners can be. So, dear Melville Cat, if this is a problem, I shall instruct H1 to remove said reference from the post. Oh, btw, happy new year. Mister Wu. PS. I hope you allow that social media language – btw – on your postings.

• Reply 2summers January 1, 2019 at 11:26 am