tree branch in snow

2Winters: Colorado Snow

It’s boiling hot in Joburg this week. But I’m in a winter wonderland in Colorado.

My view out the kitchen window this morning.

My best friend Claire lives in Colorado Springs and I’m visiting her, between visits to Washington D.C., Baltimore, Taos, Santa Fe, and Middlebury. It’s a long trip, happening right as autumn changes to winter, which means this year I’m kind of having 2Winters instead of 2Summers.

It snowed a few inches this morning — my first snowfall in nearly a decade — and it was the prettiest, fluffiest snow I’ve ever seen.

Colorado Snow

I went outside and discovered a soft, silent, snow-white utopia. Falling snow somehow makes sub-freezing temperatures feel less cold — I crunched around comfortably despite the 17° Fahrenheit (-8 Celsius) air. I had the best time taking photos.

Snowy street in Colorado Springs
Snowy street.
Next-door neighbor's house in the snow
The next-door neighbor’s house.
Snow and stream
Snow and stream.
tree branch in snow
It was beautiful.

My mom and I took a walk into town. The snow piled up on the colorful little Craftsman-style houses in the most delightful way.

I almost want to move to Colorado Springs just so I can buy one of these houses.
Green house and snow
Green house and snow.
Tiny house
Impossibly adorable tiny house.
Mom in front of a house
Mom in front of a Halloween-decorated house.
There were icicles.
Heather in snow
I was so happy.

I’m not usually crazy about winter weather but this beats the Joburg heat wave. I’m returning to summer next week.

• Reply AutumnAshbough October 29, 2019 at 3:18 pm

So pretty! I miss the fall leaves the most, but right after that is snow!

• Reply 2summers October 29, 2019 at 5:29 pm

I didn’t realize I missed it until I saw it again. Of course today I’d like it to go away though 😂

• Reply Wendy Isabelle October 29, 2019 at 3:26 pm

Just love, love, love these pics of the snow. And the work save travel cushions on the most adorable front porch. Enjoy every moment of this winter wonderland xx

• Reply dizzylexa October 29, 2019 at 4:09 pm

Stunning pics as always. I too want one of those houses, they are beautiful.

• Reply 2summers October 29, 2019 at 5:28 pm

The houses here are so cute. It’s killing me!

• Reply Bev Hammrich October 29, 2019 at 4:10 pm

It’s so much fun seeing you enjoy the Colorado snow. I love the craftsman style houses, too. The comparison to Joburg right now to that winter wonderland would be hard for many to imagine! The photos are beautiful! Enjoy!

• Reply eremophila October 29, 2019 at 10:05 pm

As the temps here rise and rise, I understand your delight albeit shortlived. Think I’d be the same. Would love to experience a Canadian winter – just once!
    Oh, and please send tiny house over asap 😁

• Reply 2summers October 29, 2019 at 11:31 pm

Yeah it was great for one day. Today I’m a bit weary of it as I’m traveling 😂 Still fun!

• Reply Peter November 1, 2019 at 9:23 pm

Hey – I was in Colorado Springs a couple of weeks ago. Sorry to have missed you. We were up in Hayden mostly, freezing our butts off in a BIG canvas tent – no stove, just an outside fire when we eventually got it lit …..

• Reply 2summers November 1, 2019 at 9:29 pm

That sounds like quite an adventure!

• Reply Rebecca and the World November 5, 2019 at 8:05 am

It’s gorgeous!! Definitely a lovely break from a hot location.

• Reply Anneliese Cianfanelli November 10, 2019 at 11:01 am

hello Heather, thank you very much for sharing these beautiful photos, bringing back special memories. Best wishes for the rest of your visit. A

• Reply 2summers November 10, 2019 at 11:48 am

Thanks Anneliese! I’m back in SA now – more posts to come soon!

• Reply Couple's Checklist November 17, 2019 at 12:08 am