Trixie the cat

Lockdown Journal: Day 57 (I Got Nothing)

It’s Day 57 of the South African lockdown. I really don’t have much to say. Here’s a picture of a cat.

Trixie on blankets
Lockdown photo 57: Trixie the cat. I think it might soon be time for Trixie to write her own lockdown post.

I put a lot of energy into my posts from yesterday and the day before, and woke up today without much motivation left. Also I don’t think I can top yesterday’s experience. A boring lockdown day at home and my run-of-the-mill emotional angst seem like very trivial blog topics compared to a food program feeding hundreds of hungry South Africans.

Heather taking pictures
Thanks Ayoob Ballim for taking this photo of me making myself useful at the food distribution yesterday. It did feel good to get out and focus on something other than my own insufferable thoughts.

Fortunately it’s Friday and I’m going to continue my new habit of taking Saturdays and Sundays off from lockdown journaling. I’ll be back on Monday, hopefully with renewed vigor.

I did receive a beautiful food delivery from Publik Wine Bar today. During the lockdown, Publik has pivoted from selling wine (which, if you believe today’s news, may or may not be for sale in South Africa again…like ever) to selling and delivering fresh produce and other specialty foods. I finally decided to give Publik a try.

I bought the “large produce box”, which includes ten veggies and three fruits, artisan bread, and eggs for R350. The Rozendal vinegar (which I’m so excited about — I visited the Rozendal farm in Stellenbosch in 2017 and loved it) and Father Coffee are add-ons.

There are a few items here that I’ve never cooked with before, and I’m super excited about all of it. I actually had to ask a friend to help me identify the vegetable at the bottom left next to the eggs: In case you’re wondering, it’s fennel.

Maybe I’ll document some of my creations over the weekend and share them in the next post.

Publik lists all of its food items for sale on Instagram (so millennial) and then you order via Whatsapp. Orders are delivered on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Today’s Featured Photographer

Today I’m featuring artist/photographer Suzy Bernstein, who is a neighbor of mine and has been taking beautiful, candid photos of life in Melville during our prescribed morning walk times. Suzy shoots all of her Instagram photos on a Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

View this post on Instagram

Copyright: Suzy Bernstein #cat #lockdown #level4 #covid19 Bounty Hunters. No social distancing neccessary.

A post shared by Suzy Bernstein (@suzybernstein_photography) on

This photo was shot through the window of Bounty Hunters, a charity shop that doubles as a cat shelter. It’s just one of my recent favorites in Suzy’s feed but there are many more. Follow her at @suzybernstein_photography.

See you all next week.

• Reply Nancy McDaniel May 22, 2020 at 5:57 pm

I have never made it but have eaten a similar sounding fennel salad and it was YUMMY! https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/shaved_fennel_salad/

• Reply 2summers May 22, 2020 at 6:10 pm

Thanks! Will check it out.

• Reply AutumnAshbough May 22, 2020 at 5:58 pm

Love the photo of the real cat and the stuffed cat. 🙂 But Trixie is always adorable, too. Enjoy your days off! (FYI, fennel tastes like black licorice to me. I think it’s nasty.)

• Reply 2summers May 22, 2020 at 6:11 pm

I don’t usually like liquorice taste but I do like fennel, strangely. Hopefully I’ll figure out how to cook it properly.

• Reply catji May 22, 2020 at 6:09 pm

I saw it mentioned earlier, now reminded. Very depressing. Deeply angry, like 30+ years ago angry. Full civil disobedience mode. …I don’t know of any other such authoritarian thing in this. …I wonder how long…visa for Mozambique, if it’s 90 days or can be extended after 30 days, maybe I go stay in Maputo.

• Reply 2summers May 22, 2020 at 6:11 pm

I’ve often thought Maputo would be a very nice place to live. I guess one should learn Portuguese though.

• Reply catji May 22, 2020 at 6:19 pm

I can make out a few words on r/portugal… i’ll go find out what tobacco is now. …..tabaco – HAHH 🙂 LOL

• Reply Ken Murdoch May 22, 2020 at 6:36 pm

Fennel is good for Soups and Stews so the foodies testify. Get creative and try it.

• Reply 2summers May 22, 2020 at 7:01 pm

I’ll definitely find something good.

• Reply catji May 22, 2020 at 7:22 pm

You know what, I see it *all* the time in posts by a recipe page on VK (the Russian equivalent of Fb.) In pancakes / pancake type things mostly. And in pickles. Dill? Maybe it’s dill I see there, looks the same…google says dill is without the anise taste.

• Reply 2summers May 22, 2020 at 7:24 pm

The top leafy part looks just like dill.

• Reply zimbo64 May 22, 2020 at 6:40 pm

Fennel is an acquired tast. I love it chopped up in salads. Or you can eat it raw. Hust make a dip with olive oil and salt. I think it is an Italian way of eating it. Have a wonderful weekend 😘

• Reply Catrina May 22, 2020 at 7:28 pm

You’re going to have some fun with your groceries. I’m looking forward to seeing the results in your beautiful photographs next week.
    Yesterday I was thinking that we were actually missing a photo of you in action at the food distribution – and bingo, there it is!

• Reply John N May 23, 2020 at 2:51 am

South Africa has such amazing food!