Nunos jobs save lives

#JobsSaveLives: The Plight of Melville’s Restaurants

Today, the South African restaurant industry participated in a nationwide demonstration called “One Million Seats in the Streets”, to protest the government’s treatment of the hospitality sector during the COVID-19 lockdown. The hashtag for the movement is #JobsSaveLives.

JobsSaveLives sign at Hell's Kitchen in Melville
A #JobsSaveLives sign outside Hell’s Kitchen in Melville.
Empty tables outside Cafe De La Creme.

Although restaurants were permitted to re-open in June, their business is crippled by a ban on the sale of alcohol, a 9 p.m. curfew, and an ineffective unemployment insurance system. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of South African restaurant workers, owners, and family members have lost most or all of their income.

I must admit, I’ve been a super hermit for the past few weeks and had been avoiding 7th Street — the restaurant row in my own suburb of Melville — because I feel so sad about all the restaurants closing. A lot of restaurants are either indefinitely shut or officially gone for good.

But today I forced myself to go to 7th Street to show my support.

Poppy's, one of many closed restaurants on 7th Street in Melville
Poppy’s.
Closed Melville restaurant
Where La Stalla used to be.

The strategy of the protest was for restaurants to move all their tables out into the street, to garner attention and create a visual display of how empty the restaurants are. But I was pleased to see a good percentage of the outdoor tables on 7th Street occupied by actual people eating and drinking. There was music pumping out onto the street, and the vibe was decidedly cheerful.

Anti-Social Social Club
Tables outside the Anti-Social Social Club.
Sandi and Lesley enjoying a waffle outside the Kwoffee Shop.

Many of the restaurants had signs outside, or staff members outside holding signs, listing how many employees are affected by the regulations and how many jobs have been lost.

Outside the Kwoffee Shop
The Kwoffee Shop
Sign at Anti-Social Social Club
Anti-Social Social Club.
Signs at De La Creme
Cafe De La Creme.
Sign outside Nunos
Nunos.
Kevdon
Kevin of Kevdon.

The current situation is dire for South Africa’s restaurant industry, as it is for so many other industries (and people) in South Africa and elsewhere. It’s impossible not to feel demoralized. And the truth is our economy is in huge trouble, regardless of the lockdown rules.

But I also saw a lot of optimism, resilience, and hope on 7th Street today. If anyone can survive this pandemic, it is the people of Melville.

I met a guy named David, who is setting up a community center/coffee shop/event space called Community at the corner of 4th Avenue and 7th Street. Community isn’t open yet and I’ll have to write more about it later. But I did learn Community has a fabulous wardrobe room at the back, filled with fancy costumes and a huge mirror surrounded by an opulent silver frame and gigantic, rainbow-colored feather headdresses.

David Gouldie of Community, who let me take his picture in the wardrobe room.

“Why?” you might be asking. “Why now, David?”

Because Melville.

• Reply pkadams July 22, 2020 at 9:01 pm

Great post. How are other businesses and people doing? How are you managing?

• Reply 2summers July 22, 2020 at 9:03 pm

I’m doing okay, but the country as a whole is really suffering. Thanks for asking 🙂

• Reply eremophila July 23, 2020 at 12:21 am

Sad,sad,sad. None of it needs to be.
      I do appreciate your reporting though Heather.

• Reply Catrina July 22, 2020 at 10:29 pm

I love it when people fight back with energy, enthusiasm and creativity. It’s great that the protest could spark some optimism.
    I often think about all the restaurants we visited and what must have become of the employees.
    I’m sure things will change for the better very soon.
    Thanks for the info and photos! 🌸

• Reply 2summers July 23, 2020 at 7:02 am

I really hope so. Thanks 🙂

• Reply intotheblueyonder July 23, 2020 at 11:04 am

Great post!!! Bedfordview and Kensington were also pumping with protest!

• Reply 2summers July 23, 2020 at 11:37 am

That’s good to hear 🙂

• Reply Peggy Laws July 23, 2020 at 12:11 pm

it is dire!! I went to our local restaurants in Queen Street, Kensington, yesterday, who also had a good turnout of representation and loyal customers at some of the restaurants. I just find it so sad seeing restaurants and businesses closing all the time. Enough is enough now.

• Reply 2summers July 23, 2020 at 12:15 pm

Yeah. Unfortunately I don’t think enough is enough yet though. We’ve got a long way to 🙁

• Reply Lani July 24, 2020 at 9:53 am

I hear you. The tourist industry in Thailand is imploding. I hope they can look to places like Melville doing something positive in order to change their lives. I read something about how many restaurants, tours, etc, have simply shut down not bothering to wait on hope anymore.

After a foolish f* up by the powers that be, they let in an infected (possibly more?) person into our city centre and Thais were so angry. I bring this up because things were starting to relax, folks were booking hotels, and then this… I really hope we can get through this.

I’m glad you went out to support them. Take care, take heart.

• Reply 2summers July 24, 2020 at 9:56 am

Thanks Lani. It really is hard to maintain hope!

• Reply AutumnAshbough July 24, 2020 at 5:08 pm

I love it when folks are tenacious and irrepressible. I’m just sad so many have to be, especially when leaders lack foresight or a modicum of competence.

• Reply 2summers July 24, 2020 at 6:48 pm

Yes. Lack of competence seems to be a problem in a lot of places right now.